Design & Technology

Graphic Products
Resistant Materials
Product Design
Examining Board AQA
Reasons for studying these subjects

These courses have been designed to encourage students to be able to design and make products with creativity and originality, using a range of both different materials. All courses in technology offer students a unique opportunity to study the world of product design and learn about the wider aspects and issues involved in design and technology through this practically based course. What you will be studying The courses offered build upon the work undertaken in Year 9. Students then have the opportunity to specialise for the complete two year course in one of the following media areas: Design & Technology: Graphic Products Students will explore the uses of a variety of graphic materials including traditional sketching, technical drawing and rendering techniques, CAD/CAM and model making. Students will be given the opportunity to investigate the application of graphic design principles in relation to real products which are manufactured in school and in industry. The emphasis on the Graphic Products course lies within its creative nature. It focuses closely on the design, development and manufacture of small products (block model) and their associated graphics and packaging. Design & Technology: Resistant Materials Students will explore the uses and applications of a full range of resistant materials including metal, plastic and wood. Students will be given the opportunity to learn about many key principles of design and technology including the use of basic hand tools, CAD/CAM and associated computer designing and manufacturing methods. The emphasis on the Resistant Materials course lies within its practical nature and creative opportunity.  The controlled assignment work in this area focuses closely on the design and development of a small item of furniture, usually in wood. Design & Technology: Product Design This exciting new course will allow students to explore a number of different material areas in wood, metal and plastics. This course offers the possibility to design and make a product in any material suitable for a specific small product. Students will be given the opportunity to develop their designing and making skills focusing on the design and manufacture of a variety of products. These may include products like children’s toys, small jewellery/accessories and other household products e.g. desk lamps and photo-frames etc. Product design uses a ‘client-based design’ approach and students will work closely with a specific target audience in mind to produce a product that is commercially viable and suitable for sale in a chosen market. The emphasis on the Product Design course lies within its practical and creative nature. Lessons in Product Design will be a mixture of classroom, workshop and ICT based learning. How you will learn Students will be expected to undertake a series of design and make based activities and tasks in order to learn about a variety of materials, processes and machinery/tools associated with their option. Alongside these practical activities will run strategic teacher led focused tasks, research assignments and mini projects designed to dynamically cover the exam content of the course. How you will be assessed 40% of this course will be assessed through a single-tiered written examination at the end of year 11.  The remaining 60% will be assessed by means of ‘controlled assignment tasks’. These are set by means of standardised project briefs set by the exam board, where students are asked to investigate a product, design, model and develop an idea and make the associated prototype/scale model of their final chosen outcome or idea. A final working prototype will be made in the Resistant Materials option (i.e. item furniture). A scale block model and/or associated packaging or box will be made in the Graphic Products option (i.e. the design for a new mobile phone or promotional item). Whereas, a small item of jewellery, desktop item or children’s toy and appropriate packaging/instructions may be made in Product Design. Other Information Having successfully completed these courses, students will be able to progress on to one of 2 sixth form course options. We currently offer Product design at A-level and Construction at level 2 (BTEC).   Contact:            Mr. P. Titterington – Head of Technology Faculty