Mr. R. Ellis
Head of Department
Overview of the Course
40% Practical Performance
Non-examined assessment is worth 40% of the qualification. This comprises the practical performance and performance analysis (coursework), both of which will be internally assessed and externally moderated.
There is an increased emphasis on the theoretical content now worth 60% of the qualification assessed through two examinations.
Worth 125 marks in total
30% Practical = 105 marks (3x35marks/activity)
10% Personal Exercise Programme
(PEP) = 20 marks
Component 2 (Paper 2)
Health and Performance
1Hr 15min written exam
24% of qualification
Topic 1: Health, fitness and well-being
Topic 2: Sport psychology
Topic 3: Socio-cultural influences
Topic 4: Use of data
Team Games Covered
Football, Rugby, Handball, Basketball, Badminton/Tennis/Table Tennis doubles
Individual Sports Covered
Athletics, Tennis, Badminton, Trampolining, Swimming, Table tennis, dance.
Other activity options are availible if a student participant participates out of school, e.g. Boxing, Equestrian, Skiing
You should take GCSE PE if…
- You enjoy fitness and want to learn more about health the body and exercise and are good at Sciecne.
- You have a keen interest in Sport and Physical Activity.
- You are keen on personal development.
- You have good grades in Science.
- You are interested in how the body works in relation to Sport and Physical Activities.
- You are committed to extra-curricular PE clubs / keeping fit – this is compulsory.
- You are willing to work hard.
Where can GCSE PE take you…
- Level 3 courses at Post 16.
- Cambridge Technical Level 3 in Sport and Physical Activity.
- Career in the health and fitness or exercise science industry as well as something like working in the NHS or Physiotherapy, sports coaching, teaching, a personal trainer, leisure centre work etc.