Main Scale Teacher of English or English Key Stage 5 Lead
TLR 2a is available for a candidate who wishes to take on the KS5 responsibilities
Required from September 2019, an English teacher to teach at GCSE and A level. There is also the opportunity to take on Key Stage 5 responsibilities, which would be remunerated with a TLR 2a.
We are looking for an outstanding and ambitious teacher or NQT to work in our strong English department. The department achieves positive outcomes at GCSE and A level and Ferndown Upper School has been placed in the top 20% of schools nationally for its GCSE and A level results for the previous three years.
We have led the way locally with a forward-thinking research based approach to teaching and learning. We follow an interleaved curriculum that allows students to build knowledge and skills over their time at Ferndown. We are particularly proud of our systematic knowledge based testing and Michaela marking approach which has led to the outcomes outlined above.
In the 6th form, the department recruits well to both English Literature and English Language A levels. The department offers a range of extra-curricular activities to A level students including theatre trips, lectures from visiting experts (including David Crystal) and visits to literature festivals.
What we offer:
- Great students who behave impeccably, so you are allowed to teach.
- Tight, robust behaviour systems.
- Centralised detentions, including homework detentions (so you do not need to organise, run or chase detentions).
- Highly visible and supportive senior leaders who have your back.
- A feedback policy focused on whole class feedback, so you do not need to mark exercise books. We do not have onerous marking policies because we believe in verbal feedback.
- No formal graded lesson observations, just ongoing ‘no-stakes’ feedback, helping you to continuously develop. We believe that trusting our staff with autonomy helps to develop a strong staff culture.
- Centralised, shared units of work and resources.
- Excellent ongoing CPD, career development and promotion opportunities.
- Really well kept site, in a very pleasant location in beautiful Dorset.
We welcome applications from both NQTs and more experienced teachers of English. An Application Form is available on our website here.
A job description can be found here.
Completed application forms should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you require any further information, please contact Andrea Baxter on 01202 871243.
Ferndown Upper School is a great place to work with a great cohort of students and we look forward to receiving your application.
Closing date: MIDNIGHT MONDAY 22ND APRIL 2019
This school is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. The successful candidate will be required to have an Enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service check (formerly CRB) in line with the Governments safer recruitment guidelines.
Ferndown Upper School values the diversity of our workforce and welcome applications from all sections of the community