IT SYSTEMS TECHNICIAN
Job Reference XS 6.2
Dorset Grade 6, SCP 6-9
£10.21 to £10.83 per hour
37 hours per week (8am to 4pm Monday to Thursday, 3:30pm Friday)
Term time plus 5 staff training days and 2 further weeks in school holidays
Permanent Position with a start date of Monday 4th January 2021
We are looking for an AVA/IT Systems Technician to assist with the smooth running of IT and AVA in a busy school environment. This will be on a permanent contract starting on Monday 4th January 2021.
The role will include:
- Assisting Media and Drama in the technical aspects of using editing software, sound production and being on hand to assist students during lessons.
- Designing/production of school promotional materials.
- Assist with IT Helpdesk.
- Address any IT issues.
- Provide network support.
- Maintain printers and scanners.
- Maintenance across all systems and equipment.
- Assist ICT Systems Manager in the analysis and review of new software.
- Undertake the installation and upgrade of software and provide any necessary training to staff.
Please refer to the attached job description for further information.
Knowledge & Skills Required:
- Previous experience as an AVA/IT Technician
- Software/hardware knowledge. Experience of application and use of a wide range of software.
- 5 GCSE A-C Grades or equivalent technical or vocational qualification.
An Application Form is available on our website www.fernup.dorset.sch.uk – please follow the link to Job Vacancies or via Dorset For You. Completed Application Forms should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further information about this position, please contact Colin Dean on email@example.com
Close date: MIDNIGHT SUNDAY 29TH NOVEMBER 2020
This school is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. The successful candidate will be required to have an Enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service check in line with the Governments safer recruitment guidelines.
Ferndown Upper School values the diversity of our workforce and welcome applications from all sections of the community
Job title: IT Systems Technician
Job ref: XS 6.2
Grade: Dorset Grade 6
Reports to: Head of ICT
Main job purpose
To ensure the appropriate ICT equipment, software, peripherals and other resources are readily available in support of teaching and learning in accordance with the school’s ICT policy.
Main responsibilities and duties
- To assist the ICT Systems Manager in the analysis and review of new software and advise staff on its suitability/relevance/potential for the support of effective teaching and learning.
- To assist the ICT Systems Manager in an on-going development of the ICT curriculum within the school.
- To support teachers in the delivery of ICT. Respond to and solve problems relating to software/hardware including internet/intranet access.
- To support the classroom teaching of CAD/CAM.
- To provide support and supervision within the ICT suites, for pupils/users.
- To administer ICT booking system for computer rooms, start up and check the functionality of systems and/or particular applications in readiness for the booked session.
- To establish and maintain user accounts for all staff and pupils on the network, grant appropriate permissions, access and security levels according to the school’s policy.
- To undertake first line maintenance to ensure effective operation of ICT equipment. Where repairs cannot be adequately and safely carried out, arrange repairs by nominated and approved contractors.
- To arrange servicing of equipment.
- To install new ICT equipment as directed (including liaison with suppliers), dispose of obsolete ICT equipment in accordance with financial regulations/school ICT policy.
- To ensure all equipment is security marked.
- To ensure that adequate stocks of consumables are readily available and maintain appropriate records.
- To check virus protection and guard against data or system corruption.
- To check and change the back-up tapes, store, record and report anomalies to the ICT Systems Manager.
- To undertake the installation and upgrade of software. Maintain a record of installations/upgrades; maintain a library of master copies and record details of licence arrangements.
- To undertake ICT based staff development (training) as required.
- Promoting and safeguarding the welfare of children and young people in accordance with the school’s safeguarding and child protection policy.
Knowledge & skills
- ICT experience, including problem solving across a range of technical issues.
- Software/hardware knowledge. Experience of application and use of a wide range of software (including Microsoft Operating Systems and Microsoft Office).
- Minimum educational attainment 5 GCSE A-C grades or equivalent/applicable technical or vocational qualification.
Supervision & management
The postholder will be supervised in their work programme by the ICT Systems Manager.
Problem solving and creativity
- To work within ICT use and operating guidelines to solve software and hardware failures. To liaise with the ICT Systems Manager where more complex technical problems arise.
- To deal with urgent problems as they arise ensuring minimal disruption to lessons.
- To maintain and set up displays of work within the ICT suites.
- To resolve routine technical problems without reference to the ICT Systems Manager.
- To seek approval and guidance from the ICT Systems Manager, prior to instructing repairs by nominated/approved contractors.
Key contacts & relationships
- Regular contact with network providers/contractors to resolve technical problems.
- Daily contact with members of staff and pupils to give advice and/or guidance on the operation of ICT equipment and software.
- Liaison with other ICT technician(s).
To give advice and support to staff/pupils/other users on the use of software.
ICT Hardware, Software and peripherals.
Range of equipment, type, number and network, will be dependent upon the size and type of school.
Work within computer suites, at times may be subject to high temperature levels due to hardware operation.
Frequent use of ICT equipment (plus regular lifting etc), also occasional work in restricted areas.
Pay and Reward Manager