Years 11 & 13 Exam Update Letter 03.04.20

3rd April 2020

Dear Parent and Carer,

Ofqual have now published guidance, which sets out how GCSE and A-level grades are going to be calculated this year. The key points that I would like to draw to your attention are:

How grades will be awarded for Y11 – 13

1. Teacher predicted grades
  2. In line with national grade distribution
  3. And the school’s past performance
  4. Student prior achievement

Students will then be awarded a final ‘calculated grade’ that is based upon the four points listed above.

It does not look like students will be able to appeal their result, only the process and those students who are unhappy with their grade will be able to sit their exam in an autumn exam series. There are answers to some FAQ on the second page of this letter.

For those Y11 who will be starting their A levels qualifications at FUS this autumn, there are now new A level subject pages (on Microsoft Teams) for your son / daughter to engage with.

Finally, we are still aiming to have a last day celebration for both Y11 and Y13 and we are still here at the end of an email or phone call if any student would like support.

Yours sincerely,

Philip Jones

FAQ

Do I need to complete any new work to be allocated a grade?

No, you are not required to submit additional mock exams or homework, and you won’t be disadvantaged if you were unable to complete any work given out.

Can I see the grades my school/college submits for me?

No, this information will be confidential. Please don’t ask your teachers, or anyone else at school, to tell you the grades they will be sending to the exam boards.

When will I get my results?

The results won’t be delayed after the dates they were expected in August, and ideally they will be issued a little earlier.

Can I take my exams another time?

Exam boards will offer additional exams in the autumn term as soon as it is possible to do so.

If I do not like my grade, will I be able to appeal?

Yes but only over the process not the result.

Does this apply to Vocational and Technical qualifications like NCFE or BTECs?

No, but the principals will be the same and as more information becomes available, we will update you.

Will my GCSEs and A levels be the same of other students from other years?

Yes, be reassured that the grades you get this summer will look exactly the same as in previous years, and they will have equal status with universities, colleges and employers, to help you move forward in your lives as planned.

Will students choosing to take an exam this autumn still be able to go to university this year?

Students may still choose to take an exam even where their university or college place has been confirmed. However, it will take time for the results of these exams to be issued, so they will need to discuss with their higher and further education institution whether to start their course as planned or to delay their entry.

If students take an exam this autumn, which will stand – the exam or centre assessment grade?

Students who feel that their grades from the summer do not reflect their ability will have the opportunity to take their exams in the autumn series or in summer 2021. If they choose to do this, both grades will stand.