I would like to, first of all, thank you for your support in these difficult and unprecedented times. The students have shown themselves to be responsible and conscientious learners and I couldn’t be more proud of this year’s group. Well done Year 9.
I would like to take the opportunity to inform and update you of the Home Learning plan moving forward into the summer term.
After Easter, we are planning to teach classes and set work via Microsoft Teams, however, the tasks from each subject will still be set and visible on GO4Schools daily to keep continuity and clarity for the students. The majority of students are already on Microsoft Teams for different subjects, if they are not currently, they will need to access this platform for the start of the Summer Term. The information on how to set this up can be found on the help sheets for students (and a parent’s guide) on our website https://fernup.dorset.sch.uk/information/coronavirus/. If there are any specific issues with the use of IT and computers please email ITsupport@fernup.dorset.sch.uk
If you have difficulty with accessing/understanding any of the home learning or you are struggling to support your child with their learning please do get in contact with us and we will endeavour to support you. We’re here to help and support you – so please do ask.
Year 9 Timeline
- We recognise the importance of students having a routine, so over the first week of the Easter holidays, we will keep setting a small amount of work for students, just to help this keep in place. This will be light-touch and a reduced amount, but we are hoping this will help our students to keep in their good routines. This will be set in the usual way through G4S and most likely be linked to Microsoft Teams.
- During the Easter break, the students will be informed via email of their allocated GCSE option choices.
- On Monday 20th April the students will begin their option choices (as well as continuing their core subjects) and this will probably mean new teachers for their chosen options. Their new timetable should be on GO4Schools from this date. This means they will stop working on their non-selected option subjects.
- The teachers of their new option subjects will be launching the new GCSE courses and subject content for these courses via Microsoft Teams.
- Alongside this, we will be supporting students with some study skills to help them with the start of GCSE.
- Students will still retain their current core subject teachers (English, Maths, Science) until the end of the academic year.
As a school, we feel that the best way of motivating and focussing our year 9 students is to embark on their GCSE journey. This is a really exciting and crucial time for all Year 9s, this coming term will be essential for laying the foundations and building vital knowledge and skills as they start their GCSE and vocational qualifications. We appreciate that this is a very different approach to what was planned however, we want to maximise the time available to support their progress over the next term.
If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact either your son/daughters tutor, subject teachers or email email@example.com. If you require advice or support from our SEND team then please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cadi Hicks Head of Year 9