Fern-ECO is our name and recycling, re-using and reducing is our game.
We would like to tell you about our new ECO school group. We are called Fern-ECO and we are passionate about Ferndown Upper School doing more to help save our planet.
We have now achieved Bronze Flag Award, which is the first award on the ECO school Programme and we are now working towards the Silver Flag award.
This is what we’re up to at the moment
- We will write our own ECO code.
- We are visiting JP Morgan Chase to see how they manage to recycle 97% of their waste on November 22nd.
- We hope to arrange a visit to ECO sustainable solutions to see how they work and what they do.
This is what we’ve been up to during the year
- We have had meetings with students, staff and governors;
- We have conducted a premises audit to see how we can improve our practice;
- We have launched a competition to design new recycling bins and we hope to be recycling glass, cans, food waste and plastics from January. We already recycle paper, cardboard and printer cartridges;
- We have conducted a curriculum audit to find out what sort of ECO topics we already learn about in school.
- We have set up an ECO board in school to let everyone know what we are doing and we will be writing a report in each newsletter, as well as keeping you posted through this webpage.