Level 2 Certificate in Retailing Knowledge
Equivalent to 1 Grade B GCSE
Examining Board – City & Guilds
Reasons for studying this subject
This course is for those who have an interest in acquiring skills and knowledge relevant to the Retail Sector.
• Have an interest in finding out about the Retail industry.
• Be friendly and able to get on with all kinds of people.
• Be enthusiastic, well presented and keen to learn new skills.
What you will be studying
The course will introduce you to the basics of Retail, giving you a good knowledge and awareness of the industry. Demonstrations and talks by local Retailers form an important part of this course.
In the summer of Year 10 the group will be given the opportunity to run your own shop in either Saxon Square or Bournemouth Town Centre where skills acquired can be put into practice.
The course is made up of the following 5 units:
• Understanding customer service in the Retail sector
• Understanding the Retail selling process
• Understanding how teams and individuals contribute to the effectiveness of a Retail business
• Understanding how a Retail business maintains health & safety on its premises
• Understanding visual merchandising for Retail business
How will I be assessed?
Each unit is individually assessed through:
• Practical observations
• Assignment tasks
• An externally set on line multiple choice examination
Selection of Students and Progression
This course is taught part of a partnership with other schools and therefore limited places are available. Students will undergo a short interview as part of their induction to ensure it is the most appropriate pathway for them. There is an additional uniform item of a polo shirt, which is worn for external activities and work experience. This is available at cost price from the school following acceptance onto the course at cost price. Successful completion of the course will provide a pathway to level 3 courses at college or entry to employment at apprenticeship level.
This Option cannot be taken as well as the Hospitality and Leisure Opportunities Level 2 but will combine well with GCSE Graphic Products.
Contact: Mrs. D. Houghton – Head of Subject